Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> the sawtooth build thread
sawtooth
post Aug 24 2008, 08:55 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,211
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Aug 24 2008, 07:45 PM) *

Sawtooth,

Hopefully these guys didn't scare you off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) :wink:

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this build!

James
Nope, I'm still here. Kinda figured this would happen. It's a good exercise for me to go through again. But now I need to get on with progress. Next, finishing up motor assembly.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
carreraguy
post Aug 24 2008, 09:48 PM
Post #22

It's not your dad's 914!

Member No.: 1,256
Region Association: Northern California

Sawtooth - FWIW , for obvious reasons I'm totally in your corner; been there done that. Bottom line, its your car, do what you want. I imagine you've read all the comments I received when I did my conversion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Aug 24 2008, 10:11 PM
Post #23

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

So I guess this means I won't get a screamin' deal on a '73 2.0. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Sounds like you've got it figured out and that's the important thing. There's a lot to be said for a great starting point and quick turnaround to get it off jackstands. BTW, I'm currently doing a 6 cyl subie conversion on my Westy.

Good luck on the project, you'll have a bargain to be proud of when you're done.
+Quote Post
brant
post Aug 24 2008, 11:01 PM
Post #24

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I'll buy your running F.I. drive line for 1K
(when you get it out please email me!)

nice car
neat project
go for it.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Aug 24 2008, 11:21 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357

QUOTE(brant @ Aug 24 2008, 11:01 PM) *

nice car
neat project
go for it.

I agree with your point! I would love to do a Subie engine on my '75 1.8L! But, I would definetly settle settle for a 2.0! I can't wait to watch your build thread!

If Brant doesn't want your engine for some reason, I will match his $1k offer for the setup! My '75 would thank me! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
tronporsche
post Aug 25 2008, 02:55 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 9,447
Region Association: Central California

Sawtooth, please don't get me wrong, basically, what I was saying is that if the majority of the car is the way you want to keep it (interior, bumpers, mirrors, etc.), than go ahead and keep it. I just , in my view, saw an advantages opportunity for you to make some instant money. There are things I would do differently from the begining if I had the advise and knew about this forum 7 years ago. I will even give you another example. I saw a car on a site a couple of days ago for $4500 that was clean. Now, lets say, you sold your car to the gentleman who offered you $6000, or you sold it for $8000. You just made a very quick $1500-$2000, and have a car that is just as clean as the one you sold, just more mileage, that doesn't make a difference to you, because you are about to rip out the stock engine and other parts, and add in your Subie. I am in no way trying to talk you into selling your car, just trying to get you to see the big picture-- from my viewpoint. And you are going to change the paint ???? Look at it like this than, the profit you can make off of that car can pay or help pay for a nice paint job, or your flares !!! That nice, stock interior is not as rare as you think ! I've got to tell you Saw, you are not going to go back to stock after you put in that Subie. I can tell you that, rite now !!! To answer your question about the 2.0, I sold my brand new rebuilt (under a 1000 miles) 2 liter to a guy for $2600. I had just spent $5000 re-building it , but the loss was worth it to me after I discovered that a family station wagon kicked my butt going up hill at Angeles forest crest highway ( a wavy uphill, fun and deadly drive here in So. Cali.). No dis-respect to the 2liter or 1.7or 8 guys, but that engine isn't for me. You will find that subie motor is changing your car into a rocket, why would you take it out , and make the car back to stock ?? Saw, I , and many others, just don't see this incredible "high value" in these 914s as others claim they do ! I wish they were that rare and demanding !! I wouldn't have cut mine !!! You have to ask yourself "hmm this car is from the 70s, and yet, I can still find them in good condition for $1500-$4000 in great shape ? " Like I said, I respect everyones opinion, I just don't see this amazing value some people talk about. If you are going to transform your car , go for it all the way. If your plan is to sell it , the conversion buyer is gonna want everything done, and the "stock" guy is going to want everything original,which means any cutting you have done, even if you patched it back up to stock, you have now" dropped the dollar" to them.....Which means Plan on keeping the car, or go full throttle with the conversion, if you do it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sawtooth
post Aug 25 2008, 07:41 PM
Post #27

nice car
neat project
go for it.

Sounds good, I will put you first in line.
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Aug 25 2008, 07:46 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357

QUOTE(sawtooth @ Aug 25 2008, 07:41 PM) *

nice car
neat project
go for it.

Me 2nd! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
sawtooth
post Aug 25 2008, 08:55 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Aug 25 2008, 07:46 PM) *

QUOTE(sawtooth @ Aug 25 2008, 07:41 PM) *

nice car
neat project
go for it.

Me 2nd! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Got it. You two guys will be the first to know.
+Quote Post
tronporsche
post Aug 26 2008, 03:20 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 9,447
Region Association: Central California

So out of curiosity, do you have a final plan and what is your decision ?
+Quote Post
sawtooth
post Aug 29 2008, 12:22 AM
Post #31

QUOTE(tronporsche @ Aug 26 2008, 03:20 PM) *

For now I'm moving forward with tasks that have to be done no matter what car I use, to take some more time to think about it and to research what's available. I'm 95% certain I'll use my current car. But if I run across just the right deal in the near future who knows. As far as my final plan for the conversion, I'm definitely using the NA ej22/ej25 combo, small car motor mount, stock ecu and converted harness, kep adapter and clutch. And I'll be attempting a radiator mounted similar to Scott Thatcher's design.
+Quote Post
sawtooth
post Aug 29 2008, 03:28 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(carreraguy @ Aug 24 2008, 09:48 PM) *

Sawtooth - FWIW , for obvious reasons I'm totally in your corner; been there done that. Bottom line, its your car, do what you want. I imagine you've read all the comments I received when I did my conversion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks for the support. I love how your conversion turned out, still waiting to see some driving vids on utube. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
bfrymire
post Aug 29 2008, 03:51 PM
Post #33

Salsaholic

Member No.: 2,431
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(sawtooth @ Aug 28 2008, 11:22 PM) *

QUOTE(tronporsche @ Aug 26 2008, 03:20 PM) *

For now I'm moving forward with tasks that have to be done no matter what car I use, to take some more time to think about it and to research what's available. I'm 95% certain I'll use my current car. But if I run across just the right deal in the near future who knows. As far as my final plan for the conversion, I'm definitely using the NA ej22/ej25 combo, small car motor mount, stock ecu and converted harness, kep adapter and clutch. And I'll be attempting a radiator mounted similar to Scott Thatcher's design.

We should compare notes. I am doing the same conversion. (On my spare 914, that is...) And I am attempting to use the same idea as Scott. I have a aluminum radiator from Griffin, and with proper airflow should cool 400hp. Way overkill, but I would rather error on the side of cooler.)

I differ, in that I am using an aftermarket ECU, due mostly to the simplicity of hook-up.

I am going to be watching your thread intently. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-- brett
+Quote Post
charliew
post Aug 30 2008, 11:02 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

Do the guys wanting to buy the motor realize you are using the tranny in the car? One of them said driveline.
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Aug 30 2008, 11:23 PM
Post #35

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

That appears to be a very nice 914 and for the price that you got it for, I can see how you feel about the coversion dollar wise. That FI 2ltr will almost pay for the cost of your car, which is pretty appealing. But to be honest, I think I would leave that one stock and look for another one. On the flip side, because the car is so nice inside and out, you'll end-up with a nice ride with the suby powerplant. Just don't think you wil ever get your money out of it...conversion cars, other that six conversions, should be done for your own pleasure...never from the perspective of getting your money back.
Good Luck & (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
v-8 progress thread
(IMG:http://computers4kidshome.com/avatar/signature_June.gif)
+Quote Post
sawtooth
post Dec 28 2008, 06:56 PM
Post #36

It's been a few months since my last update. The project got side tracked for a bit while I tackled some medium sized rust issues in the inner rocker on both sides. I cut out the rusted areas, killed rust and coated entire inner long. Welded in new sections. And then I decided to install the long kit from Brad Mayeur. This ties the trailing arm to the longs and adds a great amount of stiffening. I'm really happy with the results.

This weekend I pulled the 2.0L and transaxle after doing a compression test. Compression looks great (136,125,132,126). Spent the day cleaning and getting ready to sell. I was surprised at how much bigger the typeIV is then the suby motor, with all the air cooled components. Even with the added radiator, the suby setup will be smaller and lighter.

Received my KEP adapter and flywheel package, high quality stuff. Also talked the guys at Small Car Performance into selling me a set of motor mount arms. They no longer have the painted style, they have moved to a new powder coated set which is quite a bit more expensive. But after I begged for a while they sold me just the arms from the powder coated set for about the same as the old style.

Also received my cams back from Delta, got a new water pump, timing belt and cam shaft oil seals.

Next will be to clean up the engine bay, minor hell hole repair, and paint the engine bay.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
pktzygt
post Dec 31 2008, 01:09 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 7,611
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'm following your progress. I'm still concerned about the wiring. I might just go the standalone route.

Looks good though!
+Quote Post
Zaney
post Sep 23 2010, 02:07 PM
Post #38

Deuchland en der Haus

Member No.: 1,738
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)

From one Suby guy to another...

How goes the battle?
+Quote Post
sawtooth
post Sep 23 2010, 02:45 PM
Post #39

QUOTE(Zaney @ Sep 23 2010, 02:07 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)

From one Suby guy to another...

How goes the battle?

Sadly the battle has been stalled for a while now. I get distracted easily, man I need a local support group or something to keep me giong (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Very few 914s around here. But reading great threads like yours almost daily has me fired up to get going again. Just got a couple small projects to get out of the way and then I hope to be back at it.

Engine and trans are in, radiator setup is mostly finished (changed to up front), in the process of running new ss fuel lines and reconditioning fuel tank. Then installing wiring harness and hopefully firing it up soon.

Question for you.. what axle solution will you be using with your suby trans? I did pick up a suby 5spd MT and am really excited to that conversion at some point. But I'm going to treat it as a completely separate conversion later since I already have a kennedy adapter setup. Just collecting parts now.

Man thanks for the :bump Keep up the great work on yours, I'm counting on it for inspiration.
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Sep 23 2010, 03:00 PM
Post #40

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

When you say motor mount arms...are you talking about the engine cradle thing they sale?

Which Kennedy set-up did you go for?

-Britain
+Quote Post

17 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 03:40 PM